Condo owner denied insurance for damage to units

Your condominium insurance should cover you for bathrooms, flooring, plumbing, electrical and heating/air conditioning in your unit, as well as kitchen and laundry appliances, kitchen and bathroom cabinets and all other improvements in your unit. Basically, you have insurance for everything inside your unit and the association is responsible for the structure of the building outside your unit.

It looks like your insurance policy has a chance. Many insurance companies carve out certain issues such as floods, earthquakes and wars from their policies. But most of the time, they also do not cover for certain types of problems, such as waste management, pump problems and other similar water problems.

When you bought your insurance, your insurance agent should have offered all the other protections. You can ask questions about the limits of these insurances and decide whether to add them to your policy. We are sorry to hear that you were not offered coverage. While we don’t know what your policies provide, we suspect that your insurance company denied you coverage because you didn’t have enough coverage. save.

As a buyer making an offer on an apartment in a high-rise building, you may not have realized that water conservation can be an issue. It’s understandable. We often think of sewers with basements flooded with debris from a storm or break. But there is also water that flows into a field through an open sewer line, and it can happen inside a house. For example, the waste collection backs up against a block and water flows down the drain, hitting the block and finding its way out through the toilet, sink or shower drain.

Your policy may not include this type of coverage. But, you mentioned that the leak in your walls was due to a burst pipe. Although it may be a pipe, it is a pipe. It is something that is usually covered by insurance. We wonder if your insurance company is trying to get out of paying a claim that may have been covered under the insurance you already have.

You should consult with an attorney who specializes in insurance claims. That attorney may have some insight into whether the insurance company is right in denying your claim or is trying to use the situation to say that you don’t have insurance because you didn’t purchase a backup insurance policy. your insurance.

To our readers: Insurance coverage has become increasingly expensive and complicated. Talk to your insurance agent. Make sure you understand what coverage you have and what other coverages are available when you purchase homeowner’s insurance. It’s easy to over-buy and under-buy insurance.

For example, many homeowners buy insurance for the amount of the loan they received when they bought the home. But if the house burns down, the insurance company will pay the insurance limit, which may be enough to pay the borrower but not enough to rebuild the house. Other homeowners will compare their insurance to the value of their single family home in today’s market. But that price includes the land, which will still be there, even if your house is destroyed.

You can buy a warranty that indemnifies you for back drains or faulty basement sump pumps, before you know it. insurance companies limit the amount of damage they will cover. $5,000. If you have a lot of water in your basement, it could be worse than your insurance. So, ask about the limits of each insurance you are adding to the policy.

Finally, make sure you understand the limits of your home loan repayments. These days, it can take more than a year to rebuild a house after a fire or other disaster. But most policies limit the reimbursement of housing expenses to one year. So, if you need a place to live while paying all the mortgage, insurance and taxes on the damaged home, understand how long your insurance company will pay for it. your temporary expenses.

Contact Ilyce and Sam through their website,

Home Affairs

Ilyce Glink and Samuel Tamkin

Leave a Comment