Attorneys representing the parents of Georgia football player Devin Willock are holding a press conference.

A press conference called by a personal injury attorney’s office for Thursday that included the parents of Georgia football player Devin Willock was pushed back and then suspended without them.

The suspect was killed in a crash early Sunday morning along with Georgia recruit Chandler LeCroy in Athens.

Managing partner Roy T. Willey IV spoke outside the Athens-Clarke County Courthouse at a podium with a “Go Big Injury Lawyers” banner attached.

He said he was representing Willock’s parents, Dave and Sharlene Willock.

Dave Willock told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he only found out about the press conference from seeing it on the news and he is not planning any legal action at this time.

“No, we are working with Georgia,” said the boy. “There’s no reason for us to do that because they compensate us 100 percent.”

A message left for Dave Willock on Thursday was not returned.

“Devin’s parents are very saddened to see his body for the first time yesterday and receive information today at the autopsy,” Willey said.

Attorney Roy T. Willey IV of Go Big Injury Lawyers speaks to the media about the inquest into the deaths of Devin Willock and Chandler LeCroy in front of the Athens-Clarke County Courthouse in downtown Athens, Ga., on Thursday, Jan. .19, 2023.

A press release Wednesday said Will will discuss the details of the accident investigation with members of the legal team. i and legal action, however no legal claim has been disclosed.

Will walked away from reporters after speaking for more than five minutes and refused to answer questions when asked.

He said he spoke with Willock’s family and was in meetings earlier in the day. He read a statement that he said came from the family thanking the football fans and saying they want the public to know that Devin “was more than just a football player, he was a friend reliable, a supportive and loving brother, a student and a loving son.”

WHAT WE KNOW: The news about the accident that killed the player and the staff of Georgia

Willey thanked coach Kirby Smart and the staff for supporting the family and Georgia Attorney General Michael Raeber, who he said he met with earlier Wednesday. He also thanked Athens Clarke County Sherriff John Q. Williams and the leaders of the Athens-Clarke County police department who met to give them a report about the investigation.

The incident occurred as Georgia football celebrated its back-to-back national championships on Saturday with a parade and a game.

LeCroy, 24, was driving a rental car, but it is unclear who rented the car.

Georgia athletics declined to comment Thursday when asked by the Athens Banner-Herald whether the department paid for the vehicle and whether LeCroy was on duty with the football team at the time of the drive. car, but he gave a statement.

“Our primary focus remains on providing comfort and support to the families and friends of Devin, Chandler, and the two others who were injured, as well as everyone involved in this tragedy,” the statement said. this. “Out of respect for the individual and their families, we are not disclosing at this time the incident or the ongoing investigation.”

The accident happened around 2:45 am on Barnett Shoals Drive. The 2021 Ford Expedition hit the roadway, then struck a Georgia utility pole and another utility pole.

The incident report was provided by Athens-Clarke County police said speeding was a factor.

Willock, 20, who started two games on the offensive line last season, is a third-year player from New Milford New Jersey.

Willock was in the back passenger seat sitting on the driver’s side without a seat belt when he was ejected from the vehicle in the crash.

Two others from the football program were injured.

Offender Warren McClendon, 21, who was announced for Saturday’s NFL draft, was in the front passenger seat wearing his seat belt. He needed stitches in his forehead, his father said.

The employee, Tory Bowles, 26, was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

A toxicology report is not expected for weeks.

Will said a memorial service and funeral will be held for Willock next week.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Devin Willock’s senior attorney discusses the death of the Georgia football player

Leave a Comment